24 Apr Beet and Mozzarella Sandwich with Pesto
Roasted beets may not seem the obvious ingredient choice for a sandwich, but it’s definitely a delicious one. Accompanied with fresh mozzarella slices, delicate pistachio pesto, and crispy watercress, this sandwich makes a great lunch. Thinly sliced beets are like a vegan version of cold cuts, especially when dressed with some smoked olive oil along with a drop of wine vinegar and fresh herbs.
It’s always good to have a few roasted beets in your fridge. Just in a few minutes, you’ll be able to cook a quick salad, beet carpaccio, or a lovely sandwich meal. Your possibilities are countless. We suggest you roast a few beets at a time and then refrigerate them for 2-3 days. Serve beets with some fresh soft cheese, toasted bread, and a handful of your favorite greens, and you’ll get a delicious, healthy meal in no time!
TIP: You can use regular olive oil instead of smoked. But if you’re going for that smoky flavor, you can buy a bottle of smoked oil in your local Trader Joe’s.
Beet and Mozzarella Sandwich with Pistachio Pesto
- medium beets – 2 greens and stems cut from beetroots
- olive oil – 1 tablespoon
- ciabatta rolls – 2
- fresh mozzarella cheese – 4 oz or 4 round slices
- fresh basil leaves – 1 cup packed
- parsley – 1 cup packed
- extra virgin olive oil – 3/4 cup
- pistachios – 1/4 cup
- freshly grated Parmesan – 3/4 cup
- garlic – 2 cloves
- kosher salt – to taste
- freshly ground black pepper – to taste
- lemon juice – 1 1/2 tablespoons
- smoked olive oil or regular extra virgin olive oil – 1 tablespoon
- dill – 1 tablespoon finely chopped
- red wine vinegar – 1 teaspoon
- watercress – 1 cup
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Brush the beets with olive oil and cover tightly with foil.
- Place on a baking sheet and roast until a fork can be easily inserted into the center of each beet, about 1 hour.
- Remove from oven, and let cool.
- While beets are roasting cook the pesto sauce.
- In a food processor combine the basil, parsley, pistachios, olive oil, and garlic. Blend until a smooth paste.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper, and lemon juice. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside.
- Peel off the beetroot skin.
- Slice the beets 1/4 inch thick and place in a small bowl.
- In a mixing bowl whisk together the smoked olive oil, red wine vinegar, a pinch of salt, a pinch of freshly ground pepper, and chopped dill.
- Toss sliced beets in dressing until coated.
- Cut the ciabatta rolls in half and spread about 1 tablespoon of pesto sauce on two bottom halves.
- Top each with mozzarella, beets, and some watercress. Cover with the remaining slices of bread and serve.