10 Oct Buckwheat Crepes with Cured Salmon
Posted at 09:31h in Appetizers, Main dishes 0 Comments
Buckwheat Crepes with Cured Salmon
- For the salmon:
- 4 oz kosher salt
- 4 oz granulated sugar
- 1 lb salmon sashimi-grade skin on, bones removed
- For the crepes:
- whole milk – 2 cups
- water – ¼ cup
- large eggs – 3
- all-purpose flour – 1 cup sifted
- buckwheat flour – ½ cup
- sugar – 2 tablespoons
- salt – 1/2 teaspoon
- melted butter – 3 tablespoons
- Oil for frying
- Sour cream and a small bunch of herbs dill, parsley, tarragon for serving
- To make cured salmon you will need to start the day before you’re planning to serve it. In a small bowl, combine salt and sugar. Spread half of the salt mixture in a small container, which can hold the filet.
- Place the salmon skin-side down and cover with the rest of salt and sugar. Close the container with a lid, or cover with a plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 12 to 16 hours, but no longer or the fish might get too salty and dry.
- Scrape off salt and rinse with cold water. Then pat dry with a paper towel and place in a storage container. Enjoy within 1 week.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flours, sugar, and salt. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, waater and milk until well mixed. Beat in the flour mixture until smooth. An old-school whisk will do the job just fine. But if you have an immersive blender, it will make the batter even smoother. Then stir in 3 tablespoons of the melted butter. Cover with a plastic wrap and leave rest at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Gently stir the batter if it separates. Heat a non-stick or crepe pan over medium-high heat until really hot. Cover the pan with a thin layer of oil, and pour a small amount of batter. Rotate the pan to spread batter as thinly as possible. Cook over moderate heat until lightly browned on the edges, about 1 minute. Loosen the edges with a spatula and flip over the crepe. Cook on the other side for about 20 seconds. Transfer the crepe to a platter. Repeat with the remaining batter. Serve hot, In a small bowl mix sour cream and chopped fresh herbs and serve with hot crepes and thinly sliced cured salmon.