29 Jun Georgian-Style Vegetable Salad With Walnut Dressing
For me, this Georgian-style Vegetable Salad With Walnut Dressing has both familiar Ukrainian and vivid Georgian vibes. I say Ukrainian because my mom made a very similar summer salad when I was growing up. She always used seasonal veggies and herbs from our garden. Most of the time the mix was pretty simple and included at least two different varieties of colorful Southern tomatoes, crunchy cucumbers, juicy gypsy peppers, sweet Crimean red onion, and a bunch of lush dill (the dill is an absolute must in Ukraine). Everything is generously drizzled with unrefined sunflower oil – another Ukrainian essential ingredient – a dash of white vinegar, and seasoned with salt and pepper. This salad is still one of the summer staple dished we eat it for lunch, dinner, and picnics. We serve it for fancy parties and casual gatherings. Even when I moved to California, where you can find all the fresh produce all year round, I wait for summer to get the most delicious heirloom tomatoes for my rustic veggie salad.
What makes this salad Georgian?
Ok, after reading the first paragraph you might ask me why this salad called Georgian if it’s so similar to Ukrainian? The answer is – walnut dressing and herb mix. In Georgia, they serve this rustic veggie salad with the most flavorful walnut paste instead of oil-vinegar dressing. As well as, a bunch of different herbs such as cilantro, parsley, and purple basil. These simple ingredients transform the flavor and make it a 100% Georgian
What to serve with Georgian-Style Vegetable Salad
This salad is very versatile and full of summery flavors it will taste amazing with some grilled sausages, chicken kebabs, or pork chops. I also like serving it with more traditional Georgian dishes such as Shkmeruli Chicken and Satsivi.
If you like Georgian-Style Vegetable Salad With Walnut Dressing, you might also like Modern Garden Salad with Homemade Ranch Dressing and Mediterranean Style Roasted Potato Salad
Georgian Vegetable Salad With Walnut Dressing
- 2 large Tomatoes
- 1 Persian cucumber
- 1 medium bell pepper
- 1 jalapeño sliced
- 1 small red onion
- 2/3 cups raw walnut halves
- 2 tablespoons water or as needed
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3/4 teaspoon red wine vinegar or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground fenugreek optional
- pinch of salt
- pinch of black pepper
- a bunch of mixed herbs for serving basil, cilantro, parsley, dill, roughly chopped or whole leaves
- Roughly chop the vegetables and place them in a serving bowl. Combine the walnuts, water, oil, and vinegar in a food processor. Pulse until smooth – season to taste with salt and spices. Briefly pulse to combine.
- Top the veggies with the walnut paste and herbs, serve right away.
Tag @annavoloshynacooks on Instagram and hashtag it #annavoloshynacooks