31 Jul Green Sorrel Borscht – Luscious Summer Soup
Green Sorrel Borscht is a very traditional Ukrainian summer soup. It’s full of juicy luscious greens and herbs such as spinach, dill, parsley, but most importantly – sorrel, which is, no doubt, is the star of this dish. Fresh sorrel is wildly available in Ukraine in spring and summer. We add it to green borscht to bring some vibrant acidity that tastes so refreshing during the warm season. I love serving this soup with a dollop of sour cream, a couple of wedges of semi-soft boiled egg, and a handful of fresh herbs.
One more important thing is to serve the right kind of bread with Green Sorrel Borscht. My two favorite options are homemade Ukrainian Garlic Pampushki or Borodinsky Rye Bread which you can find in any Russian store nearby. Also, If you want to try a more traditional Red Borscht I have a perfect recipe for you.
Green Sorrel Borscht
- 1 pound chicken thighs skinless, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 8 cups cold water
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 large yellow onions peeled
- 13 ounces Yukon Gold potato peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 medium carrots peeled and shredded
- 1/3 cups heavy cream
- 6 ounces baby spinach roughly chopped
- 3 ounces sorrel roughly chopped
- 4 hard-boiled eggs chopped, (plus more for garnish, optional)
- 2 ounces fresh herb mix dill, parsley, green onion, chopped
- 1/4 cups sour cream for garnish
- kosher salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Place sliced chicken thighs, one whole onion, and a bay leaf in a 4.5-quart pot and cover with 8 cups of cold water. Season with 1 teaspoon of salt and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.
- Lower the heat to medium-low and continue cooking for 25 to 30 minutes, carefully skimming any foam and impurities. Then remove and discard the boiled onion, and add cubed potato. Cook for 15 minutes, or until potato is soft.
- Meanwhile, finely dice the remaining raw onion. Heat the oil together with the butter in a large pan over medium heat. Cook the onion and carrot until the onion is soft and translucent, about 6 minutes.
- Add the veggie mixture to the soup and simmer for about 3 minutes. Stir in the heavy cream, spinach, and sorrel. Bring to a simmer and cook for 2 more minutes, then add chopped eggs. Adjust the seasoning to taste and remove from the heat. Serve garnished with fresh herbs, sour cream, and sliced eggs