09 Nov Pear Goat Cheese Puff Pastry Volovans
Pear Goat Cheese Volovans
- puff pastry – 1/2 pack (1 roll)
- egg – 1
- large Bosc pear – 1 cut into small cubes
- fresh mint – 8-10 leaves
- water – 3 tablespoons
- sugar – 2 tablespoons
- goat cheese – 4 oz room temperature
- toasted almonds – 2 tablespoons finely chopped
- Before using frozen puff pastry, let it thaw completely, either overnight in the refrigerator or for 40-45 min at room temperature
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Line a large baking tray with baking parchment.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface. Dust the puff pastry with flour and slightly roll it out.
- Using 2 inch round cutter or small glass, cut the pastry into rounds.
- Arrange the puff pastry circles to a baking sheet, then brush lightly with the beaten egg. Prick each round with a fork to allow air to escape.
- Bake for 25 minutes until the pastry is golden and crispy.
- Remove from the oven and let to cool completely. What cooled, cut each volovan half.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan mix chopped pear, water, and sugar.
- Bring to a simmer and cook until the pear is very soft, 15-20 minutes. Add chopped mint and cook for 1 more minute.
- Pure the pear mixture in a blender. Let to cool to room temperature.
- In a small bowl combine the goat cheese and pear puree, mix well.
- Using a pastry bag with a star tip, pipe the goat cheese pear mixture on volovan bottom half.
- Sprinkle them with chopped almonds and top with another volovan half.