23 Dec Sautéed Brussels sprouts with Bacon Vinaigrette
Bright green, crunchy, and perfectly cooked Brussels sprouts sound like a dream. In fact, it’s extremely easy to achieve but equally easy to ruin. Fear not, I have a quick and absolutely scrumptious recipe for you – Sautéed Brussels Sprouts with Bacon Vinaigrette. To get a head start, check my Bacon and Green Onion Vinaigrette recipe. I have no doubt you’ll fall in love with it. I use this vinaigrette for my roasted potatoes and veggies, and of course, Octoberfest potato salad.
Can you believe I’ve never tried Brussels sprouts before coming to the US? It wasn’t a thing in Ukraine when I lived there. I only saw Brussels on American TV shows and thought of them as a tiny version of green cabbage. Now I know they are entirely separate beasts that need different treatment. And if regular cabbage can benefit from stewing and braising, long cooking will turn Brussels sprouts into brown disappointment.
How to Make the Best Sautéed Brussels Sprouts
Go Heavy. To make sure you get beautifully browned but still crunchy and vibrant, sautéed Brussels sprouts, use a large heavy-bottomed skillet. A well-seasoned cast-iron pan will work great, as well as a wok. Any other frying pan with a thick bottom will do just fine.
Be quick. These Sautéed Brussels Sprouts with Bacon Vinaigrette take about 15 minutes to make (if you have a jar of Bacon and Green Onion Vinaigrette waiting in the fridge). Cook Brussels Sprouts over high heat for about 8 to 10 minutes, shaking the pan from time to time. They should be crispy and charred outside but still remain bright green and crunchy.
Dress It Up. There are plenty of fantastic sauces, dressings, and toppings that will go well with this recipe. If Bacon Vinaigrette doesn’t excite you, substitute it with a simple lemon dressing (olive oil, Dijon mustard, lemon zest and juice, and some seasoning to taste). You can also experiment with toppings. Fried garlic, pickled chili, and grated Parmesan are among my favorites!
SAUTÉED BRUSSELS SPROUTS WITH BACON VINAIGRETTE
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts trimmed a halved
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 red chili pepper thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons Bacon and Green Onion Vinaigrette
- In a large heavy-bottomed frying pan, heat the oil until shimmering. Add the Brussels sprouts and stir well to coat them in oil; then sprinkle with salt.
- Cook the Brussels over high heat for about 8 to 10 minutes, shaking the pan from time to time. They should be crispy and charred outside but still remain bright green and crunchy.
- Stir in the sliced chili and remove the frying pan from the heat. Let the Brussels cool for a couple of minutes.
- Then transfer them into a bowl and mix with the Bacon and Green Onion Vinaigrette. Season to taste with freshly ground black pepper and more salt, if needed.