04 May Strawberry-Rhubarb BUCKWHEAT Galette
I’m posting this Strawberry-Rhubarb Galette recipe right before Mother’s Day. So if you’re looking for something special to treat your mom, look no further. Strawberry-Rhubarb Galette is one of those desserts that instantly reminds me of spring. Every year I wait for April to go rhubarb and strawberry hunting at my local farmers market. And every year I look for the recipe that will make those ingredients shine together. I think this time I found a perfects one that will stay with me for many years. This Strawberry-Rhubarb Galette is very easy to make, but the result will exceed all your expectations. Also, this recipe is one of the few on this blog that wasn’t created by me. But it’s so good I couldn’t resist and post it. The original recipe was published at Bon Appétit website, you can find it here.
Sweet ripe strawberries and juicy tart rhubarb is a classic combination for all kinds of dishes. This crust has a perfect ration of wheat and buckwheat flour. I would never guess that buckwheat flour tastes so good in this dessert. It adds a certain complexity that beautifully complements the luxurious strawberry-rhubarb filling. Plus, the crust is not overly sweet and not overshadows fruits. You definitely need this dessert in your life!
How to Serve Strawberry-Rhubarb Galette
First of all, Strawberry-Rhubarb Galette is absolutely divine when served slightly warm. Also, it’s perfectly good on its own. But if you want to add extra oomph and make the presentation a little bit more dramatic, serve a slice of a warm galette with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or plain frozen yogurt. It will be heavenly delicious. Whipped cream is also a great choice, but for me, there is nothing more tempting than a warm galette and a scoop of homemade ice cream that melts over it.
Strawberry-Rhubarb Galette with Buckwheat Crust
- 1 cup all-purpose flour plus more for dusting
- ⅓ cup buckwheat flour
- 3 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- ½ cup 1 stick cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup ice water
- 1 lb. rhubarb cut into ¾” pieces
- 8 oz. strawberries hulled and sliced
- 1 Tbsp. plus 1½ tsp. cornstarch
- ⅓ cup sugar plus more for sprinkling
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- Pulse the flour, sugar, and salt to combine. Add the cubed butter and pulse a few more times until you get pea-size crumbs. Add the ice water and process for 5 seconds, just until the dough comes together. Do not over process.
- Remove the dough from the food processor and place it on a lightly floured surface. Barely kneading, gather the dough into a smooth ball, and then flatten it into a 3/4 inch thick disk. Wrap it in a plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Mix the rhubarb, strawberries, with 1/3 cups of sugar, salt, and corn starch to get them fully covered. Place the mixture in the center of the dough and then evenly spread, leaving a 2-inch border around the edges. Fold the edge of the dough up over the filling to create a 2-inch border. Bruch the border with the lightly beaten egg. Generously sprinkle the border and filling with more sugar.
- Bake until crust is golden and filling is bubbling 45 to 50 minutes. Let cool at room temperature. Serve warm or cold.